Home | Cricket | Football | Golf | Netball | Other | Racing | Rugby | Speedway | Clubs | Gallery | About Us | Contact | Links

  Bridgwater still looking for first win of the season  

BRIDGWATER and Albion are still waiting to record their first victory, and on Saturday despite putting in their best home performance of the season they were beaten by a typically tough Lydney side who defended strongly and took their chances well.

Despite suffering another defeat for long periods of the game the hosts defied their lowly place in the table and had they capitalised on the opportunities that came their way the result may well have been different.

Lydney started well and took the lead early on when Harrison Fowke burst down the right wing and crossed for a try in the corner.

The hosts responded well and a strong run through the middle from skipper Alex Payne was halted close to the line by the Lydney defence. Bridgwater kept up the pressure and were rewarded with a penalty in front of the posts which Stuart Heal slotted home.

Five minutes later a Heal kick found touch deep in Lydney territory, but once again the move was thwarted by the visitors defensive line.

On the half hour Thomas Croal produced two good breaks down the left hand side in quick succession. but on both occasions he was shut down and Bridgwater came away empty handed..

With the clock showing 47 minutes against the run of play Lydney extended their lead with a breakaway try that was scored by Alex Nelmes and converted by Joe Hamlin after which the referee blew the whistle for half time with the score 3-12.

Within five minutes of the re-start Lydney were reduced to 14 players when Jimmy Walter was shown a yellow card.

Bridgwater tried their hardest to exploit their advantage but despite going close to the try line they were unable to score.

On 25 minutes the hosts lost the services of Heal was shown a yellow card and despite their one man disadvantage they defended well and Lydney were denied a scoring chance.

Bridgwater were awarded a long range penalty just inside the Lydney half on 34 minutes which Kyran Devitt deputising for Heal kicked to make the score 6-12 and bring the game back within reach of the home side.

Any hopes of rescuing the game however were dashed when deep into added time Lydney scored two converted tries, the first from Mike Cross and the second by Tom Cubitt to make the final score 26-6 to the visitors.

The hosts played with an urgency that has been missing in previous games at College Way and with a few players still missing from the side through injury, the Bridgy Boys and their fans can take heart from this performance.

Contact | Copyright | Privacy | Site Map